A plant nursery on Heathcote Street in Scarsdale, New York, was the earliest seed of what has grown and blossomed into Heathcote Botanical Gardens.
Like many New Yorkers, the business was transplanted to Florida. In 1960 owners Jim and Mollie Crimmins moved the business from its original Florida location on west Orange Avenue to its current Fort Pierce site on Savannah Road.
Then in 1972 the Crimmins moved their family home from Delaware Avenue to the nursery site. Now known as Heathcote House, the Crimmins’ home was built around 1922.
Today the Frame Vernacular Style structure sits graciously amid old live oaks. Its second-floor balcony, Dade County pine floors, and quaint fireplace all add to its charm. It presently houses administrative offices. In 2001 the City Commission passed a resolution to designate it as a Historically Significant Site based on its architectural characteristics and ties to the life of the community.